Safron aioli recipe
- Put the garlic into a mortar with the salt and mash into a pulp with the pestle. Add the egg yolk. Mix well.
- Add the saffron water to the mortar and continue mashing.
- In a thin stream, slowly add the olive oil from Spain while moving the pestle in a continual circular motion.
- Allow 10 to 15 minutes to add all of the olive oil from Spain. If the olive oil is added too fast it will break the emulsion and the oil and egg will separate.
- If the allioli gets too thick while mixing, when the pestle can’t be moved around easily, add in a small amount of lukewarm water, one drop at a time as needed.
- At the end add a splash of red wine vinegar to bring the flavors together.
Source: Daniel Olivella on behalf of Olive Oils from Spain, as presented at the 2021 Worlds of Flavor® International Conference & Festival.
Published with permission of the author. All rights reserved.