The potato tortilla, also known as potato omelette or Spanish tortilla, is the star dish in Spanish gastronomy. There are three basic ingredients to make it: potatoes, eggs and extra virgin olive oil from Spain. The eternal discussion about whether or not to add onions will remain forever, as it is just a matter of taste.
Check out this potato omelette recipe and learn how to make it step by step: it’s very easy and the secret is frying the potatoes in plenty of Spanish olive oil.
However, if you want to go a bit further, you can add more ingredients to give your potato tortilla a different twist. The versatility of this dish means that it can be combined with any ingredient, always getting a delicious outcome.
10 types of potato tortilla you should try:
- With Ibérico ham: a combination of some of the most outstanding foods in Spanish gastronomy will give a perfect result. Cut the Ibérico into strips or small pieces and add it to the mixture of potatoes and egg.
- With cherry tomatoes: cut 3 or 4 cherry tomatoes in half, cook them briefly in the frying pan for a minute and add them to the potato and egg mixture. You will get a fresh and sour touch.
- With caramelized onion: caramelize the onion in a separate pan and add it to the whisked egg to get sweet nuances in your potato tortilla
- With garlic: if you fry a finely chopped clove of garlic and add it to the whisked eggs, the potato tortilla will be even more tasty and aromatic.
- With spinach: stir fry half a bag of raw spinach together with 1 clove of finely chopped garlic. When the garlic is golden, add it together with the spinach to the whisked egg, just before mixing it with the potatoes.
- With red peppers and tuna: some red peppers in strips and some canned tuna in olive oil, take the tortilla to a new level.
- With goat cheese: cut a piece of goat cheese in small squares and add it to the mixture of the eggs and the potatoes. When heated in the frying pan with the rest of the ingredients, the cheese will melt and give the Spanish tortilla a unique flavor.
- With chorizo, zucchini and mushrooms: when the potatoes are finished frying, add ½ zucchini cut into pieces and 4 or 5 sliced mushrooms. Add chorizo cubes directly to the whisked egg – you won’t regret it!
- Spongy: add ½ teaspoon of baking powder to the eggs before whisking them, you will get a surprisingly nice outcome.
- With potato chips: this is an unorthodox but effective and very fast solution. Substitute the regular potatoes for chips that you only have to add to the whisked eggs. Obviously, you must not fry the chips beforehand.
Dare and try one of these 10 types of potato tortilla! Remember that it is key is to fry the potatoes in Spanish olive oil. And after that, you have lots of possibilities!