Mediterranean salad is one of the freshest and tastiest salads, as well as a quick, simple, and varied option, since it goes well with a variety of meat and fish cuts.
Anchovies, hard-boiled eggs, tuna, shrimp, crab, or capers and the extra virgin olive oil from Spain that cannot be missing are all included in different variations of the original Mediterranean salad dish. It’s crucial that they’re light ingredients so that the salad doesn’t become a heavy dish and lose its flavor.
Here are a few easy recipes of essential Mediterranean salads that is a great starter for any meal.
Basic Mediterranean Salad
A Mediterranean salad is always welcome. Fresh and tasty, it is a very quick and easy option for when you have guests or just don’t feel like cooking something very elaborate.
This easy and light recipe is made with a few basic ingredients: 400 g mixed lettuce leaves, 2 tomatoes, 1 red onion, 1 red onion, green and black olives, extra virgin olive oil from Spain and salt.
- Wash the lettuce well
- Wash the tomatoes.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Peel the onion and chop it.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the black and green olives
- Drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil from Spain.
- To finish, season it to taste.
Mediterranean octopus salad
When a cuisine is described as «Mediterranean,» it usually alludes to the usage of vegetables, fish, or shellfish, as well as our liquid gold, extra virgin olive oil from Spain. Octopus, olives, and other veggies are the stars of this salad. Try out this recipe at home!
3 cooked octopus legs
1 red onion
100 g of black olives
1 handful of lamb’s lettuce
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil from Spain
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Wash, dry, and slice the zucchini, then season and sauté in a frying pan with some olive oil from Spain.
- The tomato should be washed, dried, and sliced into half-moons.
- Peel the onion and cut it into strips.
- In a salad dish, combine the octopus, olives, and zucchini.
- Combine the tomato, onion, and lamb’s lettuce in a bowl.
- With extra virgen olive oil from Spain, lemon juice, and salt, make the dressing.
- Serve the salad on plates after dressing it.
Mediterranean Eggplant Salad
It is very aromatic and despite having few ingredients it is very tasty salad; it can be perfect as a starter, or a first course and it does not contain any meat or gluten.
1 large eggplant
3 ripe tomatoes
A handful of black olives
Cured cheese or another cheese that you like better
Olive oil from Spain
A teaspoon of oregano
- Wash the eggplants, cut off the ends and cut them in half, then into not too small squares.
- Salt the sliced eggplant in a large mixing dish. Leave it for 30 minutes so that it may release some of the water and some of the bitterness.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C and prepare the tomatoes by washing them and cutting them into wedges, then placing them in an oven-safe tray with a drizzle of olive oil from Spain and salt.
- Place the tomatoes in the oven once it has heated up.
- After 30 minutes, drain the eggplant well to remove the water. And just like the tomatoes, place them in a tray suitable for the oven; add a few spoonful of olive oil from Spain (don’t add salt as it already has some) and put them in the oven.
- Lower the oven to 180ºC and leave 40 minutes, the tomatoes already take about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Halfway through the cooking time, add the eggplants and tomatoes, mix well, and set aside for another 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are thoroughly cooked.
- Remove the veggies from the oven and allow them to cool before adding a big splash of vinegar to the same baking dish to absorb the flavors.
- Place in the dish or tray where the Mediterranean eggplant salad will be served.
- The salad is ready to be served!