Deep, passionate and tender kisses. Hurried, sensual and unforgettable kisses. Small kisses in which the lips barely touch. Intense and romantic kisses that ignite desire.
Many of us would love to experience a kiss that wakes us from a dream like Snow White, but unfortunately, we end up kissing a lot of frogs and not as many princes. Some kisses are killer – literally – like those given by Poison Ivy in Batman, while others make history, like the friendly lip lock shared between Communist leaders Leonid Brezhnev and Erich Honecker.
There are kisses that don’t use the lips at all, such as those given by the Inuit, and others that use the lips too much, like the famous WWII smooch between a sailor and a nurse in Times Square. A kiss exercises dozens of muscles and actually burns calories:
- A soft kiss, for example, burns about 10 calories
- Combined with a few caresses, a kiss burns 15 calories
- Passionate kisses can burn up to 20 calories
Speaking of kisses, who do you think puts more importance on kissing in relationships, men or women? Difficult question, right? Well, a group of researchers from Oxford University conducted a survey about kisses to find out. The results made it very clear: women put more importance on kissing. Not only that, but they also concluded that kisses are one of the deciding factors in choosing a partner.
With that in mind, you definitely don’t want to risk having damaged or dry lips on Valentine’s Day, the most romantic day of the year. If you want your kisses to be better than ever, follow these guidelines for a perfect pucker:
- Drink a lot of water. It may be obvious, but it’s effective. Your lips must be hydrated inside and out.
- Avoid licking your lips. Though it seems like this would hydrate them, it actually does the opposite.
- Use Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain as a lip balm to moisturize your lips naturally. Using your finger or a cotton ball, simply apply a thin layer on your lips. The EVOO from Spain is hydrating and acts as a barrier to protect them from the cold. Do this at least once a day or every two hours if your lips are chapped. In extreme cases, steam your lips before applying the oil. This will help them absorb the oil’s nutrients better.
- Wash your lips after eating salty, acidic or spicy food because these can irritate and dry out the lips.
- Don’t bite your lips because this can cause wrinkles and bothersome cuts.
Follow our advice and your kisses will be sure to make history.