Whole wheat bread pizza dough recipe
Desired temperature of the dough= 82˚
- Combine the water, yeast, and milk powder in a mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Mix briefly by hand using a hand whisk. Add the olive oil, honey, bread and whole wheat flour, and salt. Using the dough hook attachment, mix on the second lowest speed for 8 minutes. If the dough climbs up the hook, stop the mixer and push it back down.
- Place the dough in a plastic tub or glass bowl, cover, and leave in a warm (75 ˚- 80˚) area. The top of the refrigerator is usually a warm spot or possibly in the oven with the light on.
- After 20 minutes, uncover the dough, and with damp hands, fold the dough like a letter going into an envelope, then fold the dough in half. Re-cover, and put back in to the warm place. Wait 20 minutes and repeat the process.
- Take dough, divide in 6 oz balls. Place in to a lightly oiled plastic container so that the dough balls are separated from each other. Refrigerate for 8 -24 hours.
- Pre-heat an oven fitted with a baking stone to 500˚.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the container. Place one of the dough balls on a flat work surface on top of a little flour. Dust the top of the dough with a little flour. Starting in the center of the dough push down with the flats of your hand. Work out from the center, pushing and stretching the dough. If the dough becomes elastic, let it rest for a few minutes, then continue. Be careful not to flatten the edge.
- When you are done, there should be a disc of dough, with a slightly thick ring of dough around the edge.
- Place the dough on a pizza peel or sheet tray lined with parchment. Brush the dough with your favorite pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings. Be careful to not put too many toppings on because it will weigh down the pizza.
- Place the pizza in the oven on the pizza stone. Bake for a few minutes then rotate. Continue to bake until the edges of the pizza crust are browned and the cheese is melted.
- Remove and place on a cutting board. Cut in to triangle pieces and serve immediately.
Source: Daniel Olivella, as presented at the 2019 Healthy Kitchens, Healthy Lives® conference. Published with permission of the author. All rights reserved.