- Pour half the Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain in a large sauté pan or clay cassola medium heat, when hot about 2-3 minutes add the onions, cook slowly covered until half done about 10 minutes,
- Add both bell peppers and stir, cover and cook slowly almost simmering for about 10 more minutes until the peppers star to get soft, then add the tomatoes and stir frequently otherwise they will burn.
- Meanwhile while this is cooking in another sauté pan add the rest of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain and bring it to medium heat when hot 2-3 minutes
- Add the diced eggplant and sauté until firm and crisp remove from the pan and set aside, we will add this to the samfaina 10 minutes before the end of the cooking process, We keep an eye on the peppers making sure that as it reduces we add the rest of the liquid from the can or bits of water as needed,
- Good samfaina requires at least 1 hour reduction, you should feel the texture you like most soft like a marmalade or a bit chunkier it all depends of the time you cook it before it is done. Add the pimenton just a few seconds before you turn the heat off otherwise is going to burn a become bitter we cool add the sliced basil and stir all together.
Source: Daniel Olivella, as presented at the 2019 Healthy Kitchens, Healthy Lives® conference. Published with permission of the author. All rights reserved.