Mushroom Pâté with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Herbs recipe
- Gently clean mushrooms in cold water, then remove the stems and roughly chop.
- Heat Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bay leaf and thyme and allow the herbs to steep and infuse the olive oil for about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and onions and sauté until they are softened but not browned.
- Add the mushrooms, brandy, and water and continue to sauté for another 3-5 minutes until the alcohol has burned off and the liquid has reduced by about half.
- Finally, add the cream and continue to cook for 2-4 more minutes until the cream begins to thicken slightly.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour contents into a blender and blend or pulse until it is almost smooth (the consistency will be somewhat light and fluffy like a mousse).
- Serve warm or cold on crackers, toast points or crostini with quick pickled shallots, cornichon (gherkins), and minced hard-boiled egg for garnish.
- For the quick pickled shallots: Thinly slice 1-2 large shallots and separate into rings. Place them in a small bowl with1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar and 3⁄4 cup red wine vinegar. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes before using.
This also makes a great sauce! Serve it warm over grilled steak, your favorite pasta, or mix it with Arborio rice for a delicious risotto. Then, add a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain to finish to the dish.