Braised lentils and duck a la catalana recipe
- Mix all the dry spices and the chopped garlic with the Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain and rub the duck, let sit overnight.
- Place all the vegetables on a large baking dish, layer the duck on top, add the sherry, fill up the empty bottle with water, add it to the duck, heat up, sealed it with foil, bake in the oven at 350 for 2 ½ to 3 hours, until the meat comes off the bone, uncover, set aside, when cool enough to handle pick up the duck legs, place them on a baking tray and place in a 500 degree oven for 5 minutes. Set aside
- Meanwhile strain the liquid, add 2 Quarts chicken stock and set aside.
- Toast the pine nuts.
- To serve, heat the duck with the sauce and 2 -3 prunes cut in half per person in a covered container for about 10 minutes in a 500 degree oven.
- Place the meat on the salamander, reduce the sauce.
- Toss the lentils with vinaigrette to taste. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Place a spoonful of lentils on the plate, top with a piece of duck, and some sauce. Garnish with pine nuts and more prunes if desired.
Source: Daniel Olivella, as presented at the 2019 Healthy Kitchens, Healthy Lives® conference. Published with permission of the author. All rights reserved.