A few weeks ago we gave you some simple tips on how to properly store Olive Oil at home. Today, we’re going to some pointers so that you can reuse it correctly after it’s been used for deep-frying, sautéing, etc.
Many people who use Olive Oil tend to throw it away after they’ve fried or cooked with it because they don’t realise it can be reused up to 5 times while it's still at its best.
What’s more, Olive Oil is the only oil that can withstand high temperatures (up to 200ºC) without breaking down and while retaining all its properties and benefits. That's something you should bear in mind when choosing an oil for your recipes.
So make a note of these simple tips and follow them to the letter to get the best out of your Olive Oils and reuse them correctly.
10 recommendations for reusing Olive Oil correctly
1.As a general rule, whenever you cook or fry with Olive Oil at temperatures lower than 200ºC, it can be reused.
2. The food you’re going to fry must be as dry as possible to ensure it doesn’t release water, as water encourages the oil to break down.
3. Avoid covering the pan in order to prevent condensation on the lid which might drip into the oil.
4. To be able to reuse it, it is very important that you filter the Olive Oil after every use. Once it has cooled down, pour it through a 100% cotton or natural fibre sieve, as shown in the following video:
5. Your oil should always be stored in tinted glass bottles (to stop light getting in) or stainless steel. Never use copper, iron or plastic receptacles.
6. Store your oil in a cool, dark place.
7. You should only reuse oil for further cooking or frying. You should not use it ‘raw’ for marinades or dressings.
8. Never mix new and used oils together.
9. Reusing oil significantly helps to save resources, making it very sustainable as well as organic.
10. When it starts to look darker and thicker, it's time to change it for new oil.
By following these simple but important guidelines, you will always be able to enjoy Olive Oils from Spain in the very best condition. As you can see, each tip is simple and easy to remember and, together, are the best way to use and reuse the product properly.
If you’d like to know more about Olive Oils from Spain, learn how to cook delicious, healthy dishes and keep up to date with all the latest news, and discover everything we have to offer: