It’s no secret that we love the Mediterranean lifestyle. Like, LOVE IT. And not only is it beautiful (hello, beaches, views and culture!), but it’s also delicious. If you’d like to bring a little of the Mediterranean lifestyle to your living room — no matter where you live — here are seven awesome ways to do it, get healthy and generally feel awesome.
- Make activity a daily habit. The Mediterranean lifestyle isn’t about driving through rush hour traffic to fight your way onto a treadmill at a busy gym every day. Instead, it’s about incorporating activity into all parts of your day. Get up and do some stretches. Walk to work or the grocery store. Take the stairs. Go for a stroll after dinner. Grab a game of tennis or soccer. Make an activity not your workout, but your lifestyle.
- Eat more fish. Fish is SO ridiculously good for you and it’s a big part of Mediterranean life. Enjoy it grilled, steamed, poached or baked (here are more ideas). No matter how you cook it, be sure to drizzle it with some …
- Quality extra virgin olive oil. You simply can’t live the Mediterranean life without olive oils! And Olive Oils from Spain are the best and our top choice. With more than 260 different olive varieties and tons of international awards for being best-of-the-best, use Olive Oils from Spain on everything from bread to veggies to fish to meat to eggs to baking … in EVERYTHING!
- Take time for you. Part of the Mediterranean lifestyle is just slowing down and enjoying the moment. Set aside time for you to just chill. Read a book. Stare at the sunset. Pet your dog. Relax.
- Get social. Don’t just be social on social media, make time to hang out with those that you love and enjoy spending time with face-to-face, too. Have everyone over for a Mediterranean-inspired meal, go for a walk with your family after dinner, invite friends over to listen to music — put down the phones and connect.
- Think plant-based. Eat more Mediterranean by centering your meals and snacks around plant-based foods like nuts, veggies, fruits and … you guessed it … extra virgin Olive Oils from Spain!
- Go outside. When’s the last time you went outside to just be? Don’t just go outside to run or walk or get in your car, fit more outdoor moments into your life. Try dining al fresco or having a picnic at a park to bring a little of the Mediterranean lifestyle to your life.
What do you love best about the Mediterranean lifestyle? —Jennipher Walters, FitBottomedGirls.com
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com, FitBottomedMamas.com, FitBottomedEats.com and FitBottomedZen.com. A certified personal trainer, health coach, and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism, is the author of the book by Random House, The Fit Bottomed Girls Anti-Diet, and is regularly a co-host on the Fit Bottomed Girls Podcast. In 2016 and 2017, she was named by Greatist as one of the Top 100 Health and Fitness Influencers.